Appellate Courts >
Supreme Court >
Supreme Court Opinions
Sign up to receive updates
Appellate Courts will begin transmitting all notices, orders, and opinions electronically.
Beginning no later than July 1, 2011, the appellate courts will send notices, orders, opinions and correspondence related to pending cases to attorneys in those cases by e-mail rather than postal mail. All attorneys with pending appellate cases who have not already registered an e-mail address should do so immediately. Unrepresented parties with pending appellate cases may also participate in this e-notification system by registering an e-mail address. Please go to http://www.mncourts.gov/?page=156 for instructions how to register your e-mail address.
OPINIONS OF THE SUPREME COURT
FILED WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 27, 2014
NOTICE - MEDIA RELEASE TIME IS 10:00 A.M.
A12-0709 Darrel Schmitz, Respondent, vs. United States Steel Corporation, Appellant.
Court of Appeals.
1. A retaliatory-discharge claim under the Workers’ Compensation Act, Minn. Stat. § 176.82, subd. 1 (2012), that seeks only money damages is legal in nature and therefore carries an attendant right to a jury trial under the Minnesota Constitution.
2. An employer may not assert a Faragher/Ellerth affirmative defense to vicarious liability for a threat-to-discharge claim under Minn. Stat. § 176.82, subd. 1.
Affirmed. Justice Alan C. Page.
Concurring in part, dissenting in part, Justice G. Barry Anderson, Chief Justice Lorie S. Gildea and Justice Christopher J. Dietzen.
A12-2078 Housing and Redevelopment Authority of Duluth, Appellant, vs. Brian Lee, Respondent.
Court of Appeals.
1. The eight percent limitation on late fees that landlords of residential buildings may charge under Minn. Stat. § 504B.177 (2010) is not preempted by federal law regarding public housing authorities, as set forth in 42 U.S.C. § 1437d(1)(2) (2012) and 24 C.F.R. § 966.4(b)(3) (2013).
2. Because the public housing authority failed to establish that the eight percent limitation on late fees set forth in Minn. Stat. § 504B.177(a) conflicts with a federal statute, regulation, or handbook within the meaning of Minn. Stat. § 504B.177(b), the public housing authority was subject to the eight percent limitation.
Affirmed. Justice Christopher J. Dietzen.
(Added to website on 8/21/14)
ORDERS ON PETITIONS FOR FURTHER REVIEW
Filed - August 19, 2014
(Petitioner indicated in Italic Type)
1. State of Minnesota vs. Luke Brandon Scott – A13-0853 – Denied
2. State of Minnesota vs. Scott Andrew Bradley – A13-1440 – Denied
3. State of Minnesota vs. Angel Hernandez-Espinoza – A13-1081 – Denied
4. State of Minnesota vs. Charles D. Soderberg – A13-1246 – Denied
5. State of Minnesota vs. Christopher Robert Krych – A13-0988 – Denied
6. State of Minnesota vs. Rogelio Santillana, Jr. – A13-1177 – Granted/Stayed
7. State of Minnesota vs. Stephanie Colleen Miller – A13-1696 – Denied
8. First Resource Bank vs. Richard Bertram – A13-2158 – Denied
9. State of Minnesota vs. Levi Braziel, Jr. – A13-1183 – Denied
10. Charles Patrick Maiers vs. Tom Roy, Commissioner of Corrections – A13-1956 – Denied
11. Christopher James Waldorf vs. Commissioner of Public Safety – A13-1885 – Denied
12. Nott Company vs. Dean Eberhardt, et al. – A13-1061, A13-1390 – Denied
13. Benjamin Robert DeMaris vs. Commissioner of Public Safety – A13-2020 –
14. State of Minnesota vs. Michael Patrick Keefe – A13-0674 – Denied
15. C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc. vs. XPO Logistics, Inc., et al., Defendants, Louis J. Amo,
Jr., et al., and Robert A. Martin – A13-1797 – Denied
16. State of Minnesota vs. Susan Marie Quiram – A13-1692 – Denied
17. State of Minnesota vs. Anthony Michael Bishop – A13-2409 – Granted/Stayed
18. In the Matter of the Welfare of: A.A.C.-F., Child. – A13-2202 – Denied
19. Minnesota Joint Underwriting Association vs. Star Tribune Media Company, LLC –
A13-2112 – Granted
20. State of Minnesota vs. Gary James Johnson – A13-2252 – Granted/Stayed
21. Joshua C. Steel vs. Department of Employment and Economic Development
A13-1737 – Denied
22. State of Minnesota vs. Oswald Reid – A11-0600 – Stay Vacated/Denied
23. State of Minnesota vs. Peter Magutu Juma – A11-2142 – Stay Vacated/Denied
24. State of Minnesota vs. Norris Deshon Andrews – A11-2200, A11-2201
25. State of Minnesota vs. Ahmed Ali – A10-1026 – Stay Vacated/Denied
26. State of Minnesota vs. Vanlenzeo Delrentus Brent – A12-0944 – Stay Vacated/Denied
27. Timothy John Murray vs. State of Minnesota – A12-2257 – Stay Vacated/Denied
28. State of Minnesota vs. Wayne Anthony Lindsey – A13-0199 – Stay Vacated/Denied
29. In the Matter of the Welfare of the Child of: J.S. and M.S., Parents. – A14-0158 – Denied
30. In the Matter of the Welfare of the Children of: I.L.H. and L.L.A., Parents. –
A14-1020 – Denied (8-18-14)
The Adobe Reader must be used to view or print the opinions.
Click "Get Adobe Reader" button to download Adobe Reader free of charge.