Court of Appeals
Minnesota Judicial Center
Phone: (651) 297-7650
Minnesota Judicial Center 31425 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.Saint Paul, MN 55155
Chambers phone: 651-297-1616
Appointed as a Court of Appeals judge effective Jan. 1, 2008, by Governor Tim Pawlenty. Elected in 2010. Term expires Jan. 2017.
Appointed as Court of Appeals Chief Judge by Governor Pawlenty, effective Nov. 1, 2010, to a term expiring Oct. 31, 2013.
J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, Saint Paul, Minnesota, 1992
- Editor-in-Chief, William Mitchell Law Review, 1991-92
- Recipient of “The Student Award of Merit” at Commencement
B.A., Saint Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota, 1985
- Judge, Minnesota Court of Appeals, Jan. 1, 2008, to present.
- Chief Judge, Minnesota Court of Appeals, Oct. 31, 2010, to Oct. 31, 2013.
- Attorney in private practice, Halleland Lewis Nilan & Johnson, P.A., Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2001-07
- Attorney in private practice, Smith Parker, P.L.L.P., Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1995-2001
- Attorney in private practice, Popham, Haik, Schnobrich & Kaufman, Ltd., Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1994-95
- Law Clerk to Judge David R. Hansen, United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 1993-94
- Law Clerk to Chief Judge Charles R. Wolle, United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, Des Moines, Iowa, 1992-93
Other Professional Experiences:
- Adjunct Professor of Legal Writing, William Mitchell College of Law, Saint Paul, Minnesota, 1999-2000
- Staff Assistant, United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Courts and Administrative Practice, Washington, D.C., 1987-89
- Assistant Staff Auditor, Prudential Insurance Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1985-87
- Member of board of directors of bank holding company, 2007
- Part-time or seasonal employment before law school: waiting tables at restaurant; painting houses; working on construction crew; stocking and sacking groceries; detasseling seed corn; walking and weeding beanfields; baling hay; delivering office supplies; delivering newspapers.
- Second Judicial District Ethics Committee, Member, 2006-07
- City of Saint Paul Civil Service Commission, Member, 2004-07
- Lighthouse Academy of Nations, Inc. (charter school), Chair, Board of Directors, 2004-06
- Legal Access Point (legal services clinic), Volunteer Lawyer, 1998-2007
- Minnesota State Bar Association Judicial Elections Task Force, Member, 1997
- Minnesota State Bar Association, 1994 to the present
- Ramsey County Bar Association, 2002 to the present
- Hennepin County Bar Association, 1994-2007
- Federal Bar Association, 1994-2007
- Warren E. Burger Inn of Court, 2002-03