2nd District  


Judicial Branch Home > 2nd Home > Criminal & Traffic Division >

Criminal Expungement


Ramsey District Court is hosting a bi-weekly Self-Help Expungement clinic.

Who:  You may file for Expungement only if:
  1) You are not on probation or parole
  2) Are not currently charged with any new crime
  3) Have paid all fines and fees owed to Ramsey County and
  4) Are not requesting a driving offense be expunged
When:  2nd and 4th Thursday of the month (excluding holidays) from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Where: Ramsey County Law Library. 18th Floor, Ramsey County Courthouse, 15 W Kellogg Blvd

Space is limited and on a first-come, first-served basis.


An expungement is a court order sealing records and prohibiting re-opening or disclosure of their existence except under court order or statutory authority. Nothing in the statutes authorizes destruction of records or their return to the subject. A Judge of the District Court must hear this petition.

The Criminal Expungement area of the Minnesota Courts Self-Help Center offers a variety of tutorials, guides and resources that can help you through the expungement process. If the offense you wish to have expunged happened in Ramsey County, use the forms on this page to file your request.

Expungement Forms Packets:
MS Word (DOCX) format
Adobe (PDF) format

What Expungement Means

Expungement (sealing) of a record means the record will not be available to the general public.  However, Minn. Stat. §609A.03, subd. 7, states that law enforcement agencies, prosecution or correctional authorities may seek an order signed by a judge to re-open a sealed case for the purpose of a criminal investigation, prosecution or sentencing. The records may be opened for the purposes of evaluating a prospective employee of a criminal justice agency, without a court order, pursuant to Minn. Stat. §609A.03, subd. 7.

You May Qualify for an Expungement If:

  • The charges were dismissed, you were found not guilty, or the case did not otherwise result in a conviction.
  • You were charged with a controlled substance offense and the proceedings have been dismissed and discharged.
  • You were a juvenile prosecuted as an adult;
  • The Board of Pardons has granted you a pardon extraordinary 

If there is no court file (in other words, the prosecutor did not file formal charges or the grand jury did not file an indictment) and you’ve had a clean record for the past 10 years, a petition to the court is not necessary to expunge your arrest record.  You should contact the arresting agency and/or the BCA [Minn. Stat. §299C.11(b)].

Serious crimes like murder, aggravated assault, driving while intoxicated, and sex offender crimes are never expunged.