State Court, through the Children's Justice Initiative (CJI)
, is putting on the following Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) trainings
for all child protection stakeholders in the area:
- August 1, 2019 – Burnsville;
- August 30, 2019 – Willmar;
- November 8, 2019 – Anoka; and
- November 22, 2019 – Redwood Falls.
National Indian Child Welfare Association (NICWA) has upcoming trainings:
- 2019 NICWA Training Institute: Understanding ICWA, Positive Indian Parenting, Qualified Expert Witness, June 18 - 20, 2019, Portland, OR.
- 2019 NICWA Training Institute: In-Home Services, Positive Indian Parenting, September 10 – 12, 2019, Minneapolis, MN.
- 2019 NICWA Training Institute: Understanding ICWA, Positive Indian Parenting, Working With Substance-Abusing Families, November 12 - 14, 2019, Portland, OR.
- 2019 NICWA Training Institute: Understanding ICWA, Positive Indian Parenting, April 1-3, 2020, Denver, CO.
National American Indian Court Judges Association (NAICJA) is holding their 2019 Annual Conference at Mystic Lake October 15-18, 2019. More information is available here: www.naicja.org/NAICJA-Conference
Film Screening: Tribal Justice. Thursday, October 24, 2019, 7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. at Minneapolis Central Library. In "Tribal Justice," two Native American judges apply indigenous concepts of justice in order to reduce incarceration rates, foster greater safety for their communities, and create a more positive future for their youth. The screening will be followed by a discussion with filmmaker Anne Makepeace and Judges Abby Abinanti and Claudette White. See the Hennepin County Library
website for more information.