Appellate Courts >
Supreme Court >
Supreme Court Opinions
Sign up to receive updates
Appellate Courts will begin transmitting all notices, orders, and opinions electronically.
Beginning no later than July 1, 2011, the appellate courts will send notices, orders, opinions and correspondence related to pending cases to attorneys in those cases by e-mail rather than postal mail. All attorneys with pending appellate cases who have not already registered an e-mail address should do so immediately. Unrepresented parties with pending appellate cases may also participate in this e-notification system by registering an e-mail address. Please go to http://www.mncourts.gov/?page=156 for instructions how to register your e-mail address.
OPINIONS OF THE SUPREME COURT
FILED WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 20, 2014
NOTICE - MEDIA RELEASE TIME IS 10:00 A.M.
A13-0610 State of Minnesota, Respondent, vs. Erica Ann Rohde, Appellant.
Court of Appeals.
An inventory search of a motor vehicle was unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution because the police improperly impounded the vehicle of a driver who was stopped but not arrested for misdemeanor traffic offenses when the vehicle was lawfully parked.
Reversed and remanded. Justice G. Barry Anderson.
A13-0445 Daniel Garcia-Mendoza, Appellant, vs. 2003 Chevy Tahoe, Vin #1GNEC13V23R143453,
Plate #235JBM, et al., Respondents.
Court of Appeals.
1. Appellant has standing as an aggrieved party to challenge the civil forfeiture under Minn. Stat. §§ 609.531-.5319 (2012) because he has a colorable interest in the seized property.
2. The Fourth Amendment exclusionary rule adopted by the United States Supreme Court to deter future Fourth Amendment violations is applicable to civil forfeiture actions brought under Minn. Stat. §§ 609.531-.5319.
Reversed and remanded. Justice Christopher J. Dietzen.
A12-2065 State of Minnesota, Respondent, vs. Daniel Joseph Devens, Appellant.
Court of Appeals.
The district court did not err when it instructed the jury that appellant, while in the hallway of his apartment building, had a duty to retreat if reasonably possible before acting in self-defense against a non-resident of the building.
Affirmed. Justice David L. Lillehaug.
A13-2110 In re Petition for Disciplinary Action against Victor Harlan Smith, a Minnesota Attorney,
Registration No. 195911.
Suspended. Justice Alan C. Page.
A14-1106 In re Petition for Disciplinary Action against Mark David Holt, a Minnesota Attorney,
Registration No. 277083.
Disbarred. Justice Alan C. Page.
(Added to website on 8/21/14)
ORDERS ON PETITIONS FOR FURTHER REVIEW
Filed - August 19, 2014
(Petitioner indicated in Italic Type)
1. State of Minnesota vs. Luke Brandon Scott – A13-0853 – Denied
2. State of Minnesota vs. Scott Andrew Bradley – A13-1440 – Denied
3. State of Minnesota vs. Angel Hernandez-Espinoza – A13-1081 – Denied
4. State of Minnesota vs. Charles D. Soderberg – A13-1246 – Denied
5. State of Minnesota vs. Christopher Robert Krych – A13-0988 – Denied
6. State of Minnesota vs. Rogelio Santillana, Jr. – A13-1177 – Granted/Stayed
7. State of Minnesota vs. Stephanie Colleen Miller – A13-1696 – Denied
8. First Resource Bank vs. Richard Bertram – A13-2158 – Denied
9. State of Minnesota vs. Levi Braziel, Jr. – A13-1183 – Denied
10. Charles Patrick Maiers vs. Tom Roy, Commissioner of Corrections – A13-1956 – Denied
11. Christopher James Waldorf vs. Commissioner of Public Safety – A13-1885 – Denied
12. Nott Company vs. Dean Eberhardt, et al. – A13-1061, A13-1390 – Denied
13. Benjamin Robert DeMaris vs. Commissioner of Public Safety – A13-2020 –
14. State of Minnesota vs. Michael Patrick Keefe – A13-0674 – Denied
15. C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc. vs. XPO Logistics, Inc., et al., Defendants, Louis J. Amo,
Jr., et al., and Robert A. Martin – A13-1797 – Denied
16. State of Minnesota vs. Susan Marie Quiram – A13-1692 – Denied
17. State of Minnesota vs. Anthony Michael Bishop – A13-2409 – Granted/Stayed
18. In the Matter of the Welfare of: A.A.C.-F., Child. – A13-2202 – Denied
19. Minnesota Joint Underwriting Association vs. Star Tribune Media Company, LLC –
A13-2112 – Granted
20. State of Minnesota vs. Gary James Johnson – A13-2252 – Granted/Stayed
21. Joshua C. Steel vs. Department of Employment and Economic Development
A13-1737 – Denied
22. State of Minnesota vs. Oswald Reid – A11-0600 – Stay Vacated/Denied
23. State of Minnesota vs. Peter Magutu Juma – A11-2142 – Stay Vacated/Denied
24. State of Minnesota vs. Norris Deshon Andrews – A11-2200, A11-2201
25. State of Minnesota vs. Ahmed Ali – A10-1026 – Stay Vacated/Denied
26. State of Minnesota vs. Vanlenzeo Delrentus Brent – A12-0944 – Stay Vacated/Denied
27. Timothy John Murray vs. State of Minnesota – A12-2257 – Stay Vacated/Denied
28. State of Minnesota vs. Wayne Anthony Lindsey – A13-0199 – Stay Vacated/Denied
29. In the Matter of the Welfare of the Child of: J.S. and M.S., Parents. – A14-0158 – Denied
30. In the Matter of the Welfare of the Children of: I.L.H. and L.L.A., Parents. –
A14-1020 – Denied (8-18-14)
The Adobe Reader must be used to view or print the opinions.
Click "Get Adobe Reader" button to download Adobe Reader free of charge.