Find a Lawyer
You can find a lawyer by getting referrals from Bar Associations, community agencies, friends, employers, religious advisers,and other people you trust. A free legal advice clinic might also be a service offered at your courthouse.
Many attorneys offer "limited scope" or "unbundled" services. This means that they will work on a specific task for you, and you don't have to hire them for the whole case. For example, they could review your court papers, go to court with you, or give you their expert opinion your legal rights and options.
Some lawyers offer a free or reduced-fee consult. If there is a fee, it may be worth it to you to talk with a lawyer before you take steps that cannot be undone. Legal disputes can often have long-lasting financial impact. When you first meet with a lawyer, you should talk about their fees, and put any fee agreement in writing.
Bar Association Lawyer Referral Programs
Lawyer Locators for Low-Income Clients
NOTE: The Bar Association referral programs listed above may also have resources for low-income clients.
- LawHelpMN.org - free or low-cost legal services based on legal issue and location
- Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN)
VLN offers legal help to people with low incomes in civil cases, such as housing, bankruptcy, family law, expungement, and debt collection. To find out if you qualify, complete a Client Intake by phone or online.
Hours: 10:00a - 1:00p Mon., Tues., Wed., & Fri.
Online: Client Intake Form
- VLN Servicios Legales en Español (VLN Spanish Legal Services)
La Red de Abogados Voluntarios ofrece este programa. Las personas de bajos recursos que viven en Minnesota pueden hablar con abogados, o por telefono o en persona, y recibir ayuda legal gratuita.
Horario: martes (Tues.) de las 11:00a - 2:00p y miércoles (Wed.) de las 2:00p - 5:00p
- MN State Public Defenders - legal services for low-income people who are involved in criminal and juvenile delinquency cases
- Tubman - domestic abuse and family law services in Hennepin, Ramsey and Washington counties
- Legal Corps - free legal help for low-income small businesses & non-profits in Minnesota
- MN Disability Law Center
- MN AIDS Project - Legal Services
Other Lawyer Locators
NOTE: The Minnesota Judicial Branch makes no endorsement or warranty about quality of services by listing an organization on this website.
« Back to SHC Home