Mn Judicial Branch Logo
Find Court
    
   

Directory Lookup
In this section:

 

Home > Directory Lookup > Courthouses and Locations Directory >

Building Location Details

Carlton County Courthouse


301 Walnut Street
Carlton , MN 55718
(218) 384-4281

From the early 1870s to 1911, Carlton County used a frame building as its courthouse in Thomson, a city located on the new railroad line between Duluth and St. Paul.  In 1880, a second jail was built at Northern Pacific Juntion and the city of Cloquet eventually became the county seat.  Ten years later, residents of Northern Pacific Junction paid for a courthouse and changed the name of their town to Carlton.

The 1890 courthouse was a narrow, two-story brick building with a high-pitched single gable roof.  The arched entry on the narrow end was flanked on its left by a round roof-high tower and on the right by a short turret, bulging from the wall.

The current courthouse (pictured above), took nearly two years to build and was completed in 1924.  The three-story classic Second Renaissance Revival building is built with cream-colored brick and stone.  Clyde W. Kelly designed the building and the Niebuhr Co. of Minneapolis built it.  Materials, including furniture and fixtures, cost $259,003, but by the time the bonds were retired in 1943, the cost had increased to $301,350.

 


The Clerk's Office at the Carlton County Courthouse, as photographed in 1920.

- Historical information adapted from "The First 100 Years... The Minnesota State Bar Association."

Return to Courthouse List