Programs and Services >
Guardian ad Litem Program >
General Program Information
The Minnesota Guardian ad Litem Program seeks justice for children by:
- Ensuring no child falls through the cracks of our child welfare or family court system because of a lack of an effective Guardian ad Litem to look after their interests.
- Ensuring the most vulnerable children (pursuant to federal and state mandates) are the top priorities of the entire state court system.
- Providing competent, cost-effective, and professional service by Guardians ad Litem, supervisors, and managers.
- Working as a unified and cohesive team to realize common goals and share statewide resources, ideas, and strategies.
- Providing fair and equitable treatment of Guardians Ad Litem.
- Being accountable, ethical, and professional as individuals and as a system.
- Being sensitive to, and competent in, areas of culture, race, ethnicity, gender, and the long-term impact of violence and abuse on child development.
- To provide well-trained, highly effective Guardian ad litem advocacy for every abused, neglected and maltreated child in Minnesota’s Juvenile and Family courts.
- To create and manage a statewide GAL administrative structure with standardized policies that:
- Ensures consistent, high quality GAL advocacy for every maltreated child
- Promotes safe, nurturing and permanent homes for maltreated children
- Is cost-effective and well-managed
- Is accountable for results and to the public good
- Promotes professional and ethical GAL practice
- Is flexible and respectful of local needs and culture
- Builds public trust and confidence in the judiciary
- To promote a competent, professional and ethical workforce that is treated fairly and is adequately trained and supervised.
How To Become A GAL
To learn about becoming either a paid or volunteer GAL, please click on this link Volunteer Opportunities or contact the GAL Program Manager in your area.
Additional Background Information
Office of the Legislative Auditor Guardians ad Litem Program Evaluation (1995)
Minnesota Supreme Court Advisory Task Force on the Guardian ad Litem System Final Report and Proposed Rules (1996) GAL_REPORT_1996.pdf