Anoka County Courthouse
Phone: (763) 422-7440
Appointed Oct. 6, 2009, by Governor Tim Pawlenty. Elected in 2012. Term expires Jan. 2019.
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan School of Law, 1985
B.A., University of Montana in Missoula, 1982
Attorney, Robins, Kaplan, Miller and Ciresi, LLP law firm in Minneapolis
- Partner, 1993-2009
- Associate attorney, 1988-1993
Attorney, Morrison and Foerster law firm in Washington, D.C., 1986-1988
Professional and Community Activities:
Centennial Area Education Foundation
- Founding member
- Former member, board of directors
Former assistant girls basketball coach, Centennial Basketball Association
Former parent volunteer, Girl Scout Troop
Lector, St. Genevieve’s Catholic Church
District of Columbia (1988)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia (1988)
U.S. District Court, Minnesota (1990)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2005)
Judge O’Fallon has also been admitted pro hac vice in the state courts of California, New Jersey, North Dakota,and Illinois, and federal district court in Montana.
Former member, Minnesota Association for Justice (MNAJ)
- Former member, MNAJ Board of Governors
- Former member, MNAJ Executive Board
- Former co-chair, MNAJ Trial PAC
- Former co-chair, MNAJ Products Liability Committee
Ramsey County Bar Association, Former co-chair for “Families First” Event
Amdahl Inn of Court
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS), Campaign for Legal Aid Urban Leadership Committee
Former State Delegate, American Association for Justice
American Bar Association
Minnesota Bar Association
Virginia Bar Association
District of Columbia Bar Association
"Wyeth v. Levine: The United States Supreme Court Rejects Preemption of Failure To Warn Claims Involving Prescription Pharmaceuticals,” Minnesota Trial, Summer 2009 (with Anne Workman).
“Tort Reform: Perception Verses Reality,” Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association, Winter 2003 (with Bruce A. Finzen and Brooke B. Tassoni).
“The Recovery of Emotional Distress Damages in Negligence,” Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association, Spring 2002 (with Brooke B. Tassoni).
“The Future of Products Liability in America,” 27 William Mitchell Law Rev. 86, Oct. 2000 (with Gary Wilson and Vincent Moccio).
“Tort Reform, The Jury Questionnaire and Striking Jurors For Cause,” Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association, Oct. 1996.
“Acquiring AIDS Through a Blood Transfusion: A Product Liability Analysis Under United States Law,” International Bar Association, Oct. 1996.
"Drug Overpromotion: When is a Warning Not Enough,” Trial, 1992 (co-author with Martha Wivell).
Judge O’Fallon has lectured in the areas of trial practice and procedure, including the following recent examples:
- “Federal Preemption Update and the Effects in Railroad, Aviation, and Drug and Device Litigation,” Minnesota Association for Justice, Products Liability Seminar, Mar. 26, 2008
- “So You Are in Federal Court – Now What,” MTLA Summer Convention, Aug. 9, 2007
- “The Importance of Understanding and Eliminating Bias to the Trial Lawyer,” Ethics and Elimination of Bias Seminar, MTLA CLE, May 18, 2007
- Adjunct Professor, Hamline School of Law (Fall 2003) - Taught medical malpractice class with Wendy Zeller.