1st District  

Judicial Branch Home > First Judicial District Home > Dakota County >

Criminal Court

Felony and Gross Misdemeanor Continuance Policy effective 5-23-2013

The Criminal Division is responsible for the filing and disposition of all felony and gross misdemeanor violations issued in Dakota County.

What to do if there is a bench warrant for your arrest:
If there is a bench warrant for your arrest, you may turn yourself in on any weekday at 6:00 a.m. at the Law Enforcement Center in Hastings.  Your case may be heard between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. the same day in the Law Enforcement Center courtroom in Hastings.

Applying for a Public Defender:
If you cannot afford to obtain an attorney, you can apply for a public defender by completing a public defender application form. This form should be submitted to the clerk at your first court appearance with one of the following: (1) Current Paystub, (2) Current W-2, or (3) Most recent tax return.

Public Defender Application - English
Public Defender Application - Spanish

How to obtain Criminal Subpoenas:
Subpoenas for criminal and traffic cases must be obtained via Court Administration either by mail or by visiting the county/court location that maintains the court file.

If the defendant is pro se (does not have an attorney), he/she must motion the court in writing for an order allowing the subpoenas to be issued.  The motion must indicate who the subpoena will be issued for and why.  If the judge approves the issuance, the subpoenas will be issued at no charge.

Issuance of subpoenas shall not require court approval if the defendant is represented by counsel.  The following information must be provided in order for a subpoena to be issued:

1) Subpoena Fee - $16.00
2) File Number
3) Case Name
4) Attorney or individual requesting the subpoena(s) with a corresponding phone number
5) Hearing or Trial Date 

How to Request Subpoenas for an Out of State Case

How to File a Civil Judgment-
When restitution has been ordered in a criminal case.  Victims can file a civil judgment even if a payment plan has been set up on the criminal case.

Information on Filing a Civil Judgment
Affidavit of Identification

What is a Criminal Expungement?
Criminal “Expungement” is the process of going to court to ask a Judge to seal a criminal record.   When a record is sealed, it does not show up in a criminal background check.  It is important to remember that a sealed record is not destroyed. The police, immigration authorities, and other public officials may still maintain your records in their databases.

How to expunge a Criminal case
How to obtain a Certified or Plain Copy of a Criminal Document
How to obtain a Record Check