1st District  

Judicial Branch Home > First Judicial District Home > First Judicial District Home > Forms, FAQ's and Resources > Frequently Asked Questions >

Release Minor Settlement Funds

Instructions for Release of Minor Settlements

The Minnesota Supreme Court amended court rules that effect minor settlement accounts effective January 1, 2003.  Release of these funds are no longer automatic when the minor reaches majority.

In order to release any funds, either at the age of majority or a partial release prior to age of majority, a motion must be completed and submitted to the county where the case is filed. After the court receives the motion it will be submitted to a judge for review.

These rules do not apply to funds held in an annuity.  Annuities cannot be withdrawn until majority has been reached.

To continue to the forms page click here.