2nd District  


Judicial Branch Home > 2nd Home > Online Services >

Online Ticket Payment FAQs

English | Español

Unusual Situations

What do I do if I think a parking meter is broken?

Report it to the broken meter line immediately. Be sure and note the meter number. It's located on the front of the meter just below the coin slot.

  • For meters on the U of M St. Paul campus, call (612) 626-7275.
  • For meters in the State Capital area, call (651) 296-6741.
  • For meters anywhere else in Saint Paul, call (651) 266-9776.

If you received an expired meter ticket, wait 10 days after reporting the broken meter, call the Violations Bureau (651-266-9202), and ask if the meter you reported was broken. Warning: Don't park at a meter if you think it's broken. You can still be ticketed and owe the fine.

Return to Unusual Situations question list

What can I do if I can’t pay the fine before the due date?

Before the fine is due, you must make special arrangements with the Court to pay your fine at a later date or to pay in installments. Call (651) 266-9202 to set up an appointment. 

Return to Unusual Situations question list

I got a late notice, but I sold the car before the ticket was issued. What should I do?
If you sold the vehicle in question before the date of offense, you must first contact the Minnesota Department of Vehicle Services (DVS) and supply what is known as a Report of Sale.  Once you have taken this step, you may contact the Court and request that tickets issued after the day of sale be assigned to the new owner.

Step One: Notify Driver and Vehicle Services
DVS offers 2 ways of submitting the buyer information: 
1) (recommended) On the web at www.mndriveinfo.org.  Follow the instructions for submitting a Report of Sale.  You’ll find this in the Online Services section.
2) Over the phone at (651) 297-2559.  You may either supply the information to an automated attendant any time day or night, or, if you call between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, you may speak with a live agent.
Have all of the following information ready before you call or go online:
  • Your Drivers License number
  • The date of sale
  • The drivers license number, name and address of the new owner
  • The license plate number of the vehicle
  • The last four numbers of the VIN, or Vehicle Identification Number

Step Two:
Notify the Court
Contact our office at (651) 266-9202 two business days after your transaction is successfully completed and press zero to speak to a representative.  Be prepared to supply the license plate number and date of sale.  We will confirm the Report of Sale with Driver and Vehicle Services and assign the ticket to the new owner.  Keep in mind that this process only covers tickets issued in Ramsey County and that tickets issued elsewhere must be handled separately.Submitting a Report of Sale does not transfer the title.  This must be done in person by the buyer at a Deputy Registrar’s Office.  If the buyer does not transfer the title after you have submitted a Report of Sale, the plates will eventually be suspended and the car may be impounded.

Return to Unusual Situations question list