2nd District  


Judicial Branch Home > 2nd Home > Civil Division >

Civil Records

Civil Court Records Contact
Records Information (651) 266-8237
Records Supervisor (651) 266-8244
Records Fax (651) 266-8263

We are responsible for maintaining all Civil Court files; over 13,000 cases are filed each year.


Please use the following link to access case information.



Civil Records does not have birth or death records. These records are available from the Vital Records Office of the Ramsey County Department of Health located at 555 Cedar Street, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101, (651) 266-1330 or http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/ph/vr/index.htm

Access to Civil Files

Civil files are available for viewing on our internal court imaging system. Some cases are sealed and not available for viewing.

  • Files 1897 - 2011 are available on microfilm or imaging at Room 650, 15 West Kellogg Boulevard, St. Paul, MN 55102.

Copy Fees

  • Certified document - $16.00.
  • Plain document - $10.00.
Copy Request

      Any request for Copies can be made via phone or mail. The copies can be reproduced via hard copy or attached to an email. Only copies for the years 1988 to the Present are available to be emailed. Any copy sent via email should be opened using Windows Picture Fax Viewer after it has been saved to the user's desktop. Mail request to Civil Records, Room 650 at 15 W Kellogg Blvd, Saint Paul ,MN 55102.

Records Prior to 1897

State Archives of the Minnesota Historical Society preserves Ramsey County civil case files (file nos. 1-78,050) for the years 1858-1902;  642 boxes.

For assistance with the records preserved in the State Archives, researchers may contact our Library staff at 651.259.3300 or reference@mnhs.org.

Unlawful Detainer

Unlawful Detainer files are destroyed after two years, per the State Records Retention Schedule, and are not available. Some other file types may also have been destroyed per state retention schedules.

Access to Divorce Records

Divorce records prior to 1897 are available through the Minnesota Historical Society (651) 296-6126 or http://www.mnhs.org/geneology/family/genieguide/divorce.

Divorce records from 1897 through 1980 are available through Civil Records. You will need the married names of both parties and the year of the divorce.

Divorce records from 1981 to the present are available through Family Court, Room 160, 15 West Kellogg Boulevard, St. Paul, MN 55102 (651) 266-2842.

Contacting Us

Please contact us with any questions or requests at Civil Court Records (651) 266-8237.