2nd District  

Judicial Branch Home > 2nd Home > Civil Division > Conciliation (Small Claims) >

Filing a Claim in Conciliation Court

To learn more about TurboCourt, scroll to the bottom of this page!
To download Conciliation Court statement of claim and summons form scroll to the middle of this page.    
How do you file a claim in Conciliation Court?

If you are filing the claim, you are the plaintiff in the action.  The person you file against is the defendant. You should contact the Conciliation Court office in the county where you are filing the claim. For claims to be filed in Ramsey County, you may obtain forms by contacting Conciliation Court, Room 170, Ramsey County Courthouse, 15 West Kellogg Blvd., Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102 or on-line at www.mncourt.gov/district/2/. Upon request, Conciliation Court staff will help you complete the form.  When you file your claim you must have the following information:       

* Your name and address.
* The name and address of the corporate office if defendant is a corporation. For information you may contact the Secretary of State (651) 296-2803.
* Home address if the defendant is an individual.
* The amount of your claim.
* The reason for the claim and the date your claim arose.  A brief description of the claim should be included.  Attachments should be reserved for your appearance in court and presented at that time.

  You must sign the claim before a notary  public or court clerk and pay the current filing fee of $80.00.   The amount of the filing fee will be added to your claim.

After you have filed your claim, it must be served on the defendant. In most cases, the Conciliation Court office will serve the claim on the defendant by first class mail stating the date and time that the case will be heard.  You will also receive a notice from the court as to the date and time of the hearing.  If service cannot be made by first class mail, the Conciliation Court office will give you instructions as to how service must be performed.  Many cases settle when the defendant receives notice of the hearing.  It is your responsibility to inform the Conciliation Court office in writing if you and the defendant settle your case.

download Conciliation Court Statement of Claim and Summons


TurboCourt is now available for plaintiffs who wish to file in Ramsey County.  TurboCourt guides you through a simple interview to ensure you answer every important question that is required by the Court for a complete, quick and accurate filing. Easy to understand help on every important topic is just a mouse click away - you don't have to guess what a particular word means, and you will be well prepared to come to Court.  Applicants are required to pay a fee of $10.00 (plus applicable taxes) to use TurboCourt.  This is in addition to the Conciliation/Small Claims filing fee.

 TurboCourt online expert service will:

  • Guide you through basic, easy-to-understand questions
  • Complete your forms automatically based on your responses
  • Give you the opportunity to learn more about legal terms and court procedures
  • Allow you to provide more information than the standard court forms may permit
  • Print all of your completed forms and instructions for filing with the Clerk

TurboCourt was reviewed by consultants to ensure the questions, instructions and information are easy to understand.  Because this is NOT a court serivce, you will be taken to a non-court website when you use TurboCourt.  To begin using TurboCourt, click here.