Judicial Branch Home >
4th District Home >
Going to Court
The 4th Judicial District Court handles cases in eight (8) buildings. Five of the buildings are in downtown Minneapolis and three are located in the suburbs. The buildings are managed by Hennepin County Property Services. Everyone who wants to access courtrooms must pass through weapons screening.
Find a Courtroom
Most Hennepin County courthouses have display monitors with information on hearings, including party names, courtroom numbers, and judges. Information on hearings is also available in Today's Court Calendar. If you cannot find a hearing location, contact Court Administration.
Give yourself enough time to get to the courthouse, park, pass through weapons screening, and find your courtroom. If you are even a few minutes late for your hearing, you may miss it. If you miss your hearing, you may not be allowed to reschedule it.
Parking & Transit
Need directions? Click the link for "Map" under a court location listed to the right.
Behavior in the Courtroom
Remember that the court is a formal place and you want to be respectful in your behavior and conservative in the clothes you wear in court.
- Be on time for your hearing. If you miss your hearing, you may not be allowed to reschedule it.
- Dress appropriately. Clean, neat and professional clothing is appropriate for court. Shorts, t-shirts, low necklines, and torn clothing are not appropriate.
- In the courtroom, do NOT...chew gum or tobacco, eat, drink, read a newspaper, sleep, wear a hat, use earphones, or carry a weapon.
- Do not use electronic devices...no cell phones, pagers, cameras, other recording devices. Some courts do not allow cell phones in the courtroom, even if turned off. Learn more about Cameras in the Courtroom.
- Only one person may speak at a time in the courtroom. A court reporter is taking down everything that is being said and can only record one speaker at a time. Ask for permission to speak, and address the judge as "Your Honor."
- Do not bring children to court. Unless the Judge has told you to bring your children to the hearing or trial, arrange for someone to take care of your children. If you must bring them to court, please bring a responsible person to care for them outside of the courtroom.
- No smoking inside or outside the Hennepin County-owned buildings. See Tobacco-Free Hennepin County Property.
« Back to 4th District Court Home