4th District  




Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Court Administration > Criminal & Traffic Court > FAQs - Criminal Court >

Return of Property


How can I get my bail money back?

Only the judge can order bail refunds. If the judge ordered that all or part of your bail be refunded to you, you can come any of the Hennepin County Criminal Court locations to request a refund. Bail refunds are only issued by check and they are mailed to you, not given out in person, in most cases. The bail refund check will be issued only to the defendant, and you must bring an ID to request your refund. If the judge did not order a refund of the bail, you could call the Criminal Court at 612-348-2040 to get more information about the case.

My car was towed. How can I get it back?

Call or go to the towing company and show your ID and proof of insurance. Be prepared to pay towing, impound, and/or storage fees in order to get your car. If you have more questions, you could try talking with the police department for the city where your car was towed.

You can call (612) 673-3000 or 311 to reach the City of Minneapolis Impound Lot.

My vehicle was seized (taken) due to a controlled substance charge. How can I get it back?

You could contact the prosecutor’s office for the city where your vehicle was seized (taken) to find out what they plan to do with the case. In some situations, it is possible to ask a judge to review the taking of the vehicle by filing a request for judicial review. Forms and instructions to ask for judicial review in certain types of cases can be downloaded from the Forfeiture/Impoundment Court Forms section of our website.

My property was taken to be used as evidence. How can I get it back?

If your property was taken as evidence in a case, you may have to wait until the case is finished in court before you can get it back. You could contact the law enforcement agency that took the property to ask how to get the property back.


« Back to FAQs - Criminal Court

« Back to Criminal Court Home

« Back to 4th District Court Home