4th District  

Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Court Administration > Juvenile Court >

FAQs - Juvenile Court

Q. How long do I need to plan to be down at the Court House?

A. Please allow 4 to 6 hours for the entire process. Check in at the front counter.

Q. Do I as a parent need to appear in court with my child?

A. In most cases a parent/guardian is required to appear with the child.

Q. Does my child need to have an attorney?

A. Your child has the right to have an attorney represent them in delinquency cases. A court appointed attorney will be provided if the level of the offense is higher than a petty misdemeanor, and if under the poverty guidelines you qualify to have one appointed.

Traffic matters are not given a court appointed attorney.

Q. My child received a traffic ticket, what do we do?

A. You will receive a letter/instructions on what to do regarding the ticket in about 6-8 weeks after receiveing the ticket.

Q. Can I have access to my adoption records?

A. A Court order is needed to access any adoption records.

Q. I want to be emancipated, what do I do?

A. Emancipation means that a minor has the same legal rights and obligations as an 18-year-old adult. The Minnesota Statutes do not provide either the grounds or a procedure for emancipation. Minnesota case law has established that a minor can be emancipated by a legal marriage or by parental consent.

Q. I have an active warrant for my arrest, what do I do?

A. Contact the Juvenile Detention Center in person to set up a new court date.


« Back to Juvenile Court Home

« Back to 4th District Court Home