4th District  

Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Court Administration > Conciliation Court > Basics & FAQs on Conciliation Court >

How to file a Conciliation Court Claim

Claim Form

If you file a claim in Hennepin County Conciliation Court, we prefer that you use the form specifically designed for Hennepin County. You can download the Hennepin County Conciliation Court Claim Form from this website, or you may pick up the form in person at the Conciliation Court located in Room 306 in the Minneapolis City Hall or at the Self-Help Center located on the skyway level in the Hennepin County Government Center. NOTE: There is a statewide Conciliation Court Claim Form that can also be used.

Filling Out the Form

The claim form is a brief, fill-in-the-blank document. To complete it you must have the following information:

  • full name of the person being sued (defendant);
  • defendant's complete address (no P.O. boxes), with zip code;
  • dollar amount of claim ($15,000 or less);
  • date of the event, accident, or transaction;
  • brief description of the event, accident, or transaction;

Notarized Signature
After filling out the form, you must sign it in front of a notary or a court clerk.

Filing the Form
You must "file" your completed and notarized claim form with the court and pay a filing fee. Click Fees to see the current amount of the filing fee. You may file in person or by mail. If you file by mail, send your completed claim form along with the correct filing fee (checks should be payable to Conciliation Court) to:

Conciliation Court
Minneapolis City Hall, Room #306
350 South 5th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Before filing a claim in Conciliation Court, we encourage you to use mediation to settle your dispute.

The Hearing

The hearing will be set approximately 60 days from when you file your claim. Hearings are usually scheduled every day at times ranging from: 8:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.

It is important to appear on time.  A roll call will be taken promptly at the assigned time.

Watch "How to Handle a Conciliation Court Hearing" (10 minute video) on what happens during a typical conciliation court hearing, and learn tips to prepare for a hearing.

Legal Advice Clinic

When providing services, court staff must be neutral and fair to everyone. Court staff may provide the same type of help to any party in a case. Court staff are not allowed to give legal advice.

If you want advice in your case, you could talk with a lawyer at the Legal Advice Clinic or find a lawyer on your own.

More Resources

More information and resources on representing yourself in court are available at the Self-Help Center: Conciliation Court webpage.


« Back to Conciliation Court Home

« Back to 4th District Court Home