4th District  

Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Court Administration > Conciliation Court > Basics & FAQs on Conciliation Court >

How to continue or reschedule a court date

If you have a conflict with the court date, send a letter to Conciliation Court at the following address:

Conciliation Court
Room #306, Minneapolis City Hall
350 South 5th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Your letter must meet the following requirements:

  • Explain the reason why you cannot be at the hearing.
  • The letter must be received at least five (5) days before the original hearing date (Saturday, Sunday, legal holidays, and the hearing date are not included in counting the days.)
  • Include your preferred days of the week and times for the new hearing date. The court will try to accommodate your request, but cannot guarantee a specific date or time.
  • If you have not already paid the initial filing fee, you must include the fee for the request to be processed.

You may ask to change your hearing date only one time. If you need to make additional requests, the Court may order you to pay costs of up to $50.

If you need a continuance  because you have been unable to serve the other party, per Minnesota Rule of 508d, you must be able to serve and file proof of service within 60 days after issuance of summons.  If you are unable to meet this deadline, you need to dismiss and refile.