Judicial Branch Home >
4th District Home >
Conciliation Court >
Basics & FAQs on Conciliation Court >
File a claim for property seized in a DWI arrest
This section refers ONLY to a claim for a motor vehicle seized in a DWI arrest under MN Statute § 169A.63.
- Effective August 1, 2012, claims for return of seized property may be filed in Conciliation Court if the property is valued at $15,000 or less. No filing fee is charged for claims of property valued less than $500. If the claim is more than $500, up to the limit of $15,000, then the regular filing fee must be paid.
- A party must have their copy of Form No. 2857 "Notice of Seizure and Intent to Forfeit Property" (sent to them by the City Attorney in the city of the arrest), and a copy must be attached to their Conciliation Court claim.
- The Conciliation Court claim form must be filed within 60 days following the service of the "Notice of Seizure."
- The case should be titled: (Plaintiff’s name) Plaintiff vs. Seized property (description) c/o [name of City Attorney] City Attorney - Defendant.
- The court will issue a personal service "Summons" at time of filing the claim. The personal service Summons must be served on the City Attorney’s Office in the city where arrest was made.
- For questions about property seized during DWI arrests in Minneapolis, please contact Judd Gushwa at (612)673-2644.
All claims must be filed at Room 306, Minneapolis City Hall, 350 South Fifth Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
« Back to Conciliation Court Home
« Back to 4th District Court Home