4th District  

Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Court Administration > Conciliation Court > Basics & FAQs on Conciliation Court >

When to file in Hennepin County

Generally, you must file your claim in the county where the person you are suing (the defendant) lives. If the defendant lives in Hennepin County, then you file in that court.

Common exceptions include:

  • a claim for a bad check must be filed in county where the check was tendered;
  • security deposits and rent claims may be filed in the county where the rental property is located;
  • if there is more than one defendant;
  • corporations are sued in the county where the business is located (you may find out where a business is registsered by contacting the Minnesota Secretary of State at (651)296-2803);

For other exceptions, read the laws on Conciliation Court jurisdiction in MN Statutes Chapter 491A.


« Back to Conciliation Court Home

« Back to 4th District Court Home