Service Desk  

Judicial Branch Home > SHC Home > FIND HELP WITH: > Divorce, Child Support, Custody & Family Law > Child Support > Videos on Child Support Motions >

Video: How to File a Motion to Stop a Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA)

IMPORTANT: before watching the video linked below you should:

STEP 1: Download and print the forms packet for the Motion to Stop COLA. This video goes over each form in the packet for people filing in the Expedited Process or District Court Process.

Motion to Stop COLA Forms (Ex Pro) Motion to Stop COLA Forms (Ex Pro): Use only if the County Child Support Office is involved in your case. If the child support comes directly out of your check, or if the other parent or joint child is receiving public assistance, then the Child Support Office is probably involved in your case.
Motion to Stop COLA Forms (District Ct.) Motion to Stop COLA Forms (District Court): Use if the County Child Support Office is NOT involved in your case. If you pay child support directly to the other party, then the county is probably not involved in your case.

You may also need:

  • Fee Waiver Forms: Used if you cannot afford the filing fee to file your motion.
  • Request for County to Serve Papers: Used only if you have tried to locate the other party with no success and the county child support office is involved in your case. The court may direct the child support office to mail your papers to the other party. These forms can ONLY be used in Expedited Process.

STEP 2: Watch all video chapters listed below on how to fill out and complete your forms.

This video has 5 Chapters, and you may stop and re-start any chapter as needed. Start with Chapter 1 so you learn the steps required to file a Motion to Stop COLA.

*The videos below are currently located on YouTube. The MN Judicial Branch and the MN Courts Self-Help Center is not responsible for any content found on YouTube other than the Child Support Videos listed below.

These videos are provided for general educational purposes by the MN Courts Self-Help Center. The content is not a substitute for legal advice from a lawyer. The information is based on Minnesota law.

Other Helpful Links:


« Back to Child Support Home

« Back to Divorce, Custody & Family Law Home

« Back to SHC Home