Service Desk  

Judicial Branch Home > SHC Home > FIND HELP WITH: > Name Change >

What to Do After a Name Change

This website is for informational purposes only. Carefully read your court order for specific requirements in your case.

At the court hearing, if the judge granted your name change, he or she may have recommended that you notify certain agencies about your name change and get new identification cards. Listed below are some steps to take to update your personal records with your new name. If you have any questions about getting "certified' copies of the court order changing your name, contact the Court Administrator.

Follow-up Steps required by law:

1. Interests in land or real property

Minnesota Statutes § 259.11(a) states that name change applicants must file a certified copy of the order with the County Recorder of each county where they, their spouse/domestic partner, or minor children claim an interest in land.

2. Criminal history

Minnesota Statutes § 259.11(b) requires that name change applicants with a criminal history notify the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension about their name change within 10 days after being granted the name change. A person required to notify the BCA under this statute who fails to do so is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

Recommended Steps:

1. Get new identification cards.

After you change your name, it is important that you get new identification documents and notify some agencies and organizations about your new name. Each organization will have its own process for updating records. The first thing you may want to do is get a driver's license or I.D. and a Social Security card with your new name so you can show them to the organizations along with the court order granting your name change.

2. Notify agencies and organizations.

3. Update important papers.

You should also think about important papers that have your name on them, like titles to motor vehicles, a will, health care directive, power of attorney, etc. You may want to update those documents with your new name to avoid any confusion in the future.

Change or Correct a Minnesota Birth Certificate

If the information on a Minnesota birth certificate is wrong or missing because a mistake was made when the birth certificate was created, you can try to correct the mistake by contacting your local County Vital Statistics office or the Minnesota Department of Health. Procedures to amend (change) the birth record are available on the MN Dept. of Health website or by calling (651)201-5970.

If there was not a mistake, but you think there are exceptional circumstances for changing the birth certificate now, you may file an Application for a Name Change with the court, but you must specifically ask for the change on your Application that the judge order that the birth certificate be changed. You should get legal advice on what exceptional circumstances justify a change to a Minnesota birth certificate.


« Back to Name Change Home

« Back to SHC Home