10th District  

Judicial Branch Home > Tenth Judicial District Home > Washington County >

Juvenile Court

Washington County Courthouse
14949 62nd Street North
P.O. Box 3802
Stillwater, MN 55082
Phone:  651.430.6311
Fax:  651.430.6300

Juvenile Court is a division of District Court, which deals with cases involving children under the age of 18.  Various types of cases are heard in Juvenile Court including: delinquency actions; children in need of protective services cases; truancy matters; and termination of parental rights actions.  With very limited exceptions, juvenile files are confidential.

Juvenile Delinquency (Criminal and Truancy)
Delinquency Basics
Child in Need of Protective Services (CHIPS)

Termination of Parental Rights (TPR)
The courts do NOT publish forms or instructions to start a court action to terminate parental rights. For more help, talk with a lawyer to get advice. See Find a Lawyer.

Generally, being "emancipated" means that a minor has the same legal responsibilities as an adult. Minnesota Statutes do not specifically define a process by which a minor can become emancipated, but courts have recognized the concept of emancipation. Juvenile Courts decide on a case-by-case basis if there is sufficient evidence to find that a minor may live "independently" of his/her parents or guardian. The courts do NOT publish forms and instructions to become "emancipated." For more resources on emancipation, see LawHelpMN.org. To get legal advice on how to file for emancipation, see Find a Lawyer.

Juvenile Traffic Offenders
A juvenile traffic offender is any child alleged to have committed a traffic offense, except those children under the jurisdiction of adult court as provided in Minn. Stat. § 260B.225. A traffic offense is any violation of a state or local traffic law, ordinance, or regulation, or a federal, state or local water traffic law.

Generally, 16- and 17-year-old children charged with petty misdemeanor traffic offenses are under the jurisdiction of adult court.  See Traffic Ticket Options for instructions on how to resolve those cases.