2nd District  

Judicial Branch Home > 2nd Home > Civil Division > Housing Court >

Obtaining a Writ

Writ of Recovery

A Writ of Recovery is a legal order commanding the defendant to vacate the premises described in the complaint.  Once the Writ has been served, the defendant has 24 hours to vacate the premises.   The fee for the Writ is $57.00. You may obtain a writ of recovery from Housing Court located in Room 170, Ramsey County Courthouse, 15 West Kellogg Blvd., Saint Paul, Minnesota 55117.  It must be served by the sheriff who will charge fees for service.  If he is unable to serve it personally he may post it in a conspicuous place.

If the defendant disobeys the Writ you should notify the Sheriff, who may then physically remove the defendant. It should be understood that only a law enforcement officer (usually the County Sheriff) can physically evict a tenant. The landlord cannot do this.  A bonded moving company, under the direction of the Sheriff, will remove defendant's personal belongings and store them in a bonded warehouse.  You must arrange for the moving and storage and pay the fees.

The defendant has 60 days to redeem the stored property.  To redeem it, he must pay for the moving and storage costs.   If unclaimed after 60 days, the property may be auctioned off by the landlord.   The proceeds are then applied to the moving, storage, and related expenses incurred.

Additional information may be found through the Office of the Attorney General for the State of Minnesota.