Judicial Branch Home >
2nd Home >
Juvenile and Family Division >
Domestic Abuse / Harassment >
Harassment Restraining Order (HRO)
Harassment Restraining Orders are civil orders that a person can petition for through District Court.
The person requesting an order is the petitioner.
The person the order is against is the respondent.
Minnesota Statute 609.748 requires that to file in Second Judicial District, specifically Ramsey County a Petitioner must:
- Petition to a court with jurisdiction:
- Petitioner and/or Respondent live in Ramsey County
- Alleged harassment occurred in Ramsey County
- Allege recent incident/s of harassment
- Single incident of physical or sexual assault
- Repeated incidents of intrusive or unwanted acts, words or gestures that have a substantial adverse effect or are intended to have a substantial adverse effect on the safety, security or privacy of another, regardless of the relationship between petitioner and the alleged harasser
- Targeted residential picketing
- A pattern of attending public events after being notified that one's presence is harassing to another
The civil court filing fee of $327.00 (effective 9/1/13) applies to Petitioners and Respondents when opening or entering into a file. This fee must be paid or waived upon approval of the order or hearing in a harassment proceeding. The fee may be waived by a Judicial Officer based on a Petition to file In Forma Pauperis (if you are low income) or based on the allegations contained in the Petition and Affidavit for Harassment Restraining Order.