4th District  

Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Self-Help Centers > Family Law >

Child Support

How can I start getting child support?

If you want to start getting child support, you can apply for assistance at Hennepin County Child Support Services. That office can also help establish paternity, locate a parent, and enforce child support orders.

How can I change (modify) my child support order?

Please visit the MN Courts Self-Help Center online to get instructions, court forms, and other resources at

Video: Motion to Modify Child Support Doing it yourself?
Watch the Child Support Motion video, which takes you step-by-step through the process of filling out the court forms.

You can also go to the Family Justice Center in downtown Minneapolis and get the Motion to Modify Child Support Forms Packet at the Family Court Filing counter located on the 1st floor. Carefully read all of the instructions. To complete the forms correctly, you may need a copy of the CURRENT order that you want to change. If you don't have a copy of your current order, you may get one at the Family Court Records Center.

Checklist to Modify Child Support Follow this helpful Checklist to Modify Child Support.

Checklist to Modify Child Support See also FAQs on Child Support Cost-of-Living Adjustments (COLA).


« Back to Help with Family Law Cases

« Back to Self-Help Center (4th)