Service Desk  

Judicial Branch Home > SHC Home > FIND HELP WITH: >

Conciliation Court

Conciliation Court is also known as "small claims" court. General claims of $15,000 or less can be filed in Conciliation Court. Once you file a claim, you cannot later file another claim for more money related to the same event(s).

Conciliation Court procedures are easier to follow and the filing fee is lower than the District Court level. You do not need a lawyer to go to Concilation Court, but it may help you to talk to a lawyer to get advice about the law applies to the facts of your case.

IMPORTANT: Winning a case in Conciliation Court does not guarantee payment. You are responsible for collecting your judgment from the losing party. The Court does not collect the payment for you. Collecting a judgment can be difficult and may involve additional out-of-pocket expenses for filing fees and other costs. For more information, go to How Do You Collect a Conciliation Court Judgment?

Common claims that may be heard in Conciliation Court include:

  • claims by creditors for unpaid debts
  • claims by employees for unpaid wages
  • claims by tenants for return of security deposits
  • claims by landlords for damage to property
  • claims about the possession or ownership of personal property valued at $15,000 or less

Claims that may NOT be heard in Conciliation Court include:

  • disputes about title to real estate
  • libel or slander claims
  • class actions
  • medical malpractice claims
  • actions against deceased people

We encourage you to read the law in MN Statute § 491A.01 which lists the types of claims that are and are not allowed in Conciliation Court.

FAQs on Conciliation Court FAQs on Conciliation Court 
FAQs on Conciliation Court Forms - Conciliation Court 
FAQs on Conciliation Court Laws, Rules & Resources on Conciliation Court
FAQs on Conciliation Court Legal Advice Clinics & Self-Help Centers



video"How to Handle a Conciliation Court Hearing" (10 min.) Available in English (captioned), Hmong, Somali, and Spanish.


« Back to SHC Home