Carlton County Courthouse History

From the early 1870s to 1911, Carlton County used a frame building as its courthouse in Thomson, a city located on the new railroad line between Duluth and St. Paul.  In 1880, a second jail was built at Northern Pacific Juntion and the city of Cloquet eventually became the county seat.  Ten years later, residents of Northern Pacific Junction paid for a courthouse and changed the name of their town to Carlton.

The 1890 courthouse was a narrow, two-story brick building with a high-pitched single gable roof.  The arched entry on the narrow end was flanked on its left by a round roof-high tower and on the right by a short turret, bulging from the wall.

The current courthouse (pictured above), took nearly two years to build and was completed in 1924.  The three-story classic Second Renaissance Revival building is built with cream-colored brick and stone.  Clyde W. Kelly designed the building and the Niebuhr Co. of Minneapolis built it.  Materials, including furniture and fixtures, cost $259,003, but by the time the bonds were retired in 1943, the cost had increased to $301,350.


The Clerk's Office at the Carlton County Courthouse, as photographed in 1920.

Historical information adapted from "The First 100 Years... The Minnesota State Bar Association."

Return to Carlton County District Court