eFiling Information for Government Partner Agencies

Court rule changes governing the filing of non-public information take effect January 1, 2021.  See this News Item for more information.

For every filing, information regarding minor victims of certain sex crimes (Minn. R. Pub. Access 4, subd. 1(m)), restricted identifiers, and other nonpublic information must be redaced and/or filed as a separate confidential document when necessary, using a Cover Sheet for Non-Public Documents (Form 11.2) or an appropriate e-filling code.  

A Confidential Victim Identifier Information Form for submitting minor victim information is available on mncourts.gov under Court Forms in the Criminal and Juvenile Delinquency categories, and the Cover Sheet for Non-Public Documents (Form 11.2) is available in the Confidential Information category.  E-filing resources, including the E-Filing Code Guides are available on the eFile and eServe Resources tab of the eFile and eService page.
Information for law enforcement regarding the eFiling requirements for search warrants is available here: Criminal Search Warrant Filing Information

All documents filed with the district court by attorneys and government agencies must be eFiled.  Electronic filing of citations and complaints is supported by the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension’s (BCA) eCharging service. All non-charging documents required to be filed with the court must also be eFiled, which is done through the Judicial Branch’s eFiling and eService system, known as eFS. 
Recognized exceptions to the eFiling requirement include juvenile delinquency charging documents, charging documents filed by agencies without a federal ORI that cannot use the BCA service, and indictments when no criminal case exists in the MN Court Information System; all of those documents must be filed on paper until an electronic filing solution is identified. Please refer to the Mandatory Electronic Filing and Service Overview for more detailed information and an explanation of eFiling requirements and exceptions. 
If there is ever any question about whether or how a particular document should be eFiled, contact the local district court.