Court Fees

Court users are required to pay fees for filing and for services as set out in Minnesota law.  If you cannot afford to pay a court fee, you can ask to have the fee reduced or waived.  


Select the District Court Fees button for fees in a specific county
Supreme Court Filing Fees
Fee Description
Extraordinary Writs (mandamus/prohibition)
Notice of Appeal/Petition for Writ of Cert.
Petition for Accelerated Review
Petition for Further Review
Petition for Rehearing

Court of Appeals Filing Fees
Fee Description
Appellate Court Copy Fee
Extraordinary Writs (mandamus/prohibition)
Notice of Appeal/Petition for Writ of Certiorari
Notice of Related Appeal
Petition for Discretionary Review

What is a motion?

Unless an exception applies in statute, court rule, or court policy, a motion for purposes of assessing a motion fee is a written request to the court to make a specific ruling or order. The name of the document or event chosen by the filer does not determine if a motion fee applies. Instead, the substance of the request is determinative.

What if I cannot afford to pay a court fee? 

You may qualify for a reduction or waiver of court fees if your income is at or below 125% of the Federal poverty level, if you receive public assistance, OR if you can show that you do not have enough money to pay the filing fee. The judge can waive all or part of the court fees in a case, and the waiver only applies to costs specifically stated in the order. NOTE: Getting a fee waiver does not mean you will never have to pay any costs or a judgment in the case. 
An order reducing or waiving court fees is also known as an Order Granting In Forma Pauperis Application (IFP).
For more information, see the Fee Waiver section in our Help Topics.

How do I pay the court fee? 

Court fees can be paid by money order, cash, or check.  Check with local court administration to see if credit or debit cards are accepted at the courthouse in your county.
Make checks payable to District Court Administrator.

What are law library fees?

Law Library fees are set by each county for the support of the county law libraries. Minn. Stat. § 134A.02.



Minnesota StatutesMinn. Stat. § 134A.09: Hennepin and Ramsey Counties; Fees for Law Libraries
Minn. Stat. § 134A.10: Law Library Fees Collected in All Other Counties
Minn. Stat. § 169A.284: Chemical Dependency Assessment Charge; Surcharge
Minn. Stat. § 259.52: Fathers' Adoption Registry
Minn. Stat. § 271.06 subd 4: Appeals from Orders - Appeal Fee
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(1): Every Civil Action or Proceeding
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(2): Certified Copy of Any Instrument from a Civil or Criminal Proceeding
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(3): Issuing a Subpoena
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(4): Filing a Motiion or Response to a Motion in Civil, Family (Excluding Child Support), and Guardianship Cases
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(5): Issuing an Execution and Filing the Return Thereof; Issuing a Writ of Attachment, Injunction, Habeas Corpus, Mandamus, Quo Warranto, Certiorari, or Other Writs not Specifically Mentioned
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(6): Issuing a Transcript of Judgment, or for Filing and Docketing a Transcript of Judgment from Another Court
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(7): Filing and Entering a Satisfaction of Judgment, Partial Satisfaction, or Assignment of Judgment
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(8): Certificate as to Existence or Nonexistence of Judgments Docketed
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(10): For the Filing of Each Partial, Final, or Annual Account in All Trusteeships
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(11): For the Deposit of a Will
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(13): Filing a Motion or Response to a Motion for Modification of Child Support
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(14): All other Services Required by Law for Which No Fee is Provided
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 2(15): Adoption Petition Surcharge
Minn. Stat. § 357.021 subd 6: Surcharges on Criminal and Traffic Offenders
Minn. Stat. § 357.022: Conciliation Court Fee
Minn. Stat. § 504B.385 subd 4: Rent Escrow Action to Remedy Violations
Minn. Stat. § 518.005 subd 6: Proceeding for Dissolution of Marriage, Legal Separation, or Annulment
Minn. Stat. § 548.181 subd 1: Discharge of Judgments Against Bankruptcy Debtors
Minn. Stat. § 548.181 subd 3a: Certification of Discharge
Minn. Stat. § 548.23: Plea of Confession
Minn. Stat. § 548.30: Foreign Judgment Fees
Minn. Stat. § 550.143 subd 5(b): Levy on Funds at a Financial Institution
Minn. Stat. § 551.05 subd 3: Attorney's Summary Execution Upon Funds at a Financial Institution
Minn. Stat. § 563.01: In Forma Pauperis Proceedings; Authorization
Minn. Stat. § 571.914: Objection to Exemption Claim
Minn. Stat. § 604.113 subd 2: Issuance of Worthless Check (NSF)
Minn. Stat. § 609.5314: Administrative Forfeiture of Certain Property Seized in Connection with a Controlled Substances Seizure
Court RulesRules of Civil Procedure, 5.05: Filing; Facsimile Transmission
General Rules of Practice, District Courts, Title VI. Conciliation Court Rules: 521(b): Removal (Appeal) to District Court
Juvenile Court Rules, Rules of Juvenile Protection Procedure, 31.01 subd 2: Filing by Facsimile Transmission
Juvenile Court Rules, Rules of Adoption Procedure, 25.01 subd 3: Types of Filing - Fees; Original Document
Rules of Civil Appellate Procedure, 103.01 subd 1: Manner of Making Appeal
Rules of Civil Appellate Procedure, 103.02 subd 2: Related Appeals
Court Operations Policy506(B): Copy Fee Policy - Copy Available on Request
506(H): Motion Fee Policy - Copy Available on Request