Related Help Topics
File a Case
– Information on how to file a case in District Court, Court of Appeals, or the Supreme Court.
– Information on Self-Help Center locations and services, including tools and resources. Also includes information on legal terms, laws, rules, and legal research, as well as free legal advice clinics.
Find a Lawyer
– Resources on free legal advice clinics, free or low-cost legal services, and hiring an attorney.
Court Forms Information
– Information and FAQs on Fillable Smart Forms.
– Links to Minnesota court rules.
Service of Process
– Information on service of process.
– Information, including location and phone numbers, for county law libraries as well as the Minnesota State Law Library.
– Links to various dictionaries and glossaries of common legal terms.
Videos & Tutorials
– Informational videos and tutorials published by the Minnesota Judicial Branch for a variety of case types. Some resources are available in multiple languages.
Going to Court in Minnesota
- Video explanation of the Minnesota court system and information on preparing for a court hearing. Available in English, Hmong, Spanish, Somali, and American Sign Language.
*new* Minnesota Courts Overview for High School Classes
- MN Supreme Court Justice Paul Thissen provides an overview of the Minnesota court system, explaining the matters that come before the courts and the importance of access to legal representation.
How to Prepare for Trial in Housing Cases
“I’ll See you in Court”
– Overview of the Minnesota court system.
What to Expect as a Self-Represented Plaintiff or Defendant in a Civil Trial (without a jury)
What to Expect as a Self-Represented Petition or Respondent in a Family Court Trial or
(Hennepin County Family Court)
How to Research a Legal Problem: A Guide for Non-Lawyer
(American Association of Law Libraries)
Introduction to Basic Legal Citation
(Legal Information Institute; Cornell University Law School)
*new* Legal FAQs – Working with a Lawyer
(American Bar Association)
*new* Legal Stuff
(Hennepin County Bar Association) (also available in Spanish
Other Legal Resources
Minnesota State Law Library
Minnesota House Research Department
Minnesota Attorney General’s Office: Consumer Information
Minnesota Secretary of State