Related Help Topics
File a Case
– Information on how to file a case in District Court, Court of Appeals, or the Supreme Court.
– Information on Self-Help Center locations and services, including tools and resources. Also includes information on legal terms, laws, rules, and legal research, as well as free legal advice clinics.
Find a Lawyer
– Resources on free legal advice clinics, free or low-cost legal services, and hiring an attorney.
Court Forms Information
– Information and FAQs on Fillable Smart Forms.
– Links to Minnesota court rules.
Service of Process
– Information on service of process.
– Information, including location and phone numbers, for county law libraries as well as the Minnesota State Law Library.
– Links to various dictionaries and glossaries of common legal terms.
Videos & Tutorials
– Informational videos and tutorials published by the Minnesota Judicial Branch for a variety of case types. Some resources are available in multiple languages.
Going to Court in Minnesota
- Video explanation of the Minnesota court system and information on preparing for a court hearing. Available in English, Hmong, Spanish, Somali, and American Sign Language.
* Preparing for your Remote Hearing
- Video explanation of court guidelines for remote hearings.
*new* Minnesota Courts Overview for High School Classes
- MN Supreme Court Justice Paul Thissen provides an overview of the Minnesota court system, explaining the matters that come before the courts and the importance of access to legal representation.
*new* Legal Terms
- This video was created by the National Center for State Courts. It is a general overview of legal terminology.
*new* Coming to Court on Your Own
- This video was created by the National Center for State Courts. It is for general information only about going to court.
*new* Filing Motions
- This video was created by the National Center for State Courts. It is for general information about motions and the motion filing process only.
*new* Preparing for your Remote Hearing
How to Prepare for Trial in Housing Cases
“I’ll See you in Court”
– Overview of the Minnesota court system.
What to Expect as a Self-Represented Plaintiff or Defendant in a Civil Trial (without a jury)
What to Expect as a Self-Represented Petitioner or Respondent in a Family Court Trial or
What to Expect in a Conciliation Court Hearing
How to Research a Legal Problem: A Guide for Non-Lawyer
(American Association of Law Libraries)
Introduction to Basic Legal Citation
(Legal Information Institute; Cornell University Law School)
*new* Legal FAQs – Working with a Lawyer
(American Bar Association)
*new* Legal Stuff
(Hennepin County Bar Association) (also available in Spanish
Other Legal Resources
Minnesota State Law Library
Minnesota House Research Department
Minnesota Attorney General’s Office: Consumer Information
Minnesota Secretary of State
Online Public Defender Application