Limited Court Services Available at Hennepin County Government Center
Hennepin County has implemented additional requirements
for entry to all county buildings, which include all Hennepin County District Court courthouses. All visitors will be required to:
- Wear a face covering if they are not fully vaccinated.
Do not enter the building if you have had any COVID-19 symptoms
Court operations continue to be in a transitional phase. To continue operations in a manner that prioritizes health and safety, the following is in effect June 14, 2021 – September 6, 2021:
- Criminal jury trials will be held in person.
- Civil jury trials can be held in person, as long as they do not interfere with a Major Criminal proceeding.
- Major Criminal, Juvenile Protection (including CHIPS and Permanency), and Juvenile Delinquency trials and contested hearings will be held in person.
- Criminal settlement conferences will be held in person.
- Grand jury proceedings will be held in person.
- Mandatory Misdemeanor Criminal trials and contested hearings are to be held in person beginning August 2, 2021.
- All other district court proceedings will be held remotely unless the Chief Judge of the Judicial District grants permission for an in-person proceeding based on extenuating circumstances.
- Public Service Counters: The following public service counters are open:
- Hearing Office, Hennepin County Government Center Skyway level
- Note that the Hearing Office is not open for hearings, but for general questions only.
- Access to technology for remote (Zoom) hearings is also available at the Hearing Office.
- Records Center, Hennepin County Government Center Skyway level
- Hours are 8 a.m. to noon, Monday-Friday, no copy service available.
- Self-Help Center services are available by phone and email.
If you have a question about a court case scheduled in Hennepin County District Court call (612) 348-6000. You may also contact the court by email and use the dropdown menu to select the appropriate county.
Court launches webpage for State vs. Derek Chauvin
Hennepin County District Court has launched a webpage for the case State of Minnesota v Derek Chauvin, case number 27-CR-20-12646. The page includes all public documents filed in the case, and other information that will be helpful to parties interested in the case. You may sign up to receive an email notice whenever the webpage is updated, by clicking on the “Sign up to receive updates” link at the top of the page.
District Court initiatives to reduce pretrial detention
Hennepin County District Court, in collaboration with justice partners, has and continues to work to manage the pretrial detention of people appropriately at the Adult Detention Center (Hennepin County jail). A document outlining these efforts is available here
Criminal Court launches warrant hotline
Hennepin County Criminal Court has a warrant hotline where you can call to get information about your warrant and schedule a court hearing to take care of your case. Your warrant will stay active until you go to court, which means you could still be arrested even though you have scheduled court over the phone. This service gives you an opportunity to schedule a date to take care of it. Visit the Criminal court homepage for more information.
Video: Responding for jury duty in Hennepin County
Responding for jury duty? Watch a new video (5:08 minutes) to help you prepare. Please note, this video does not reflect changes to facilities and protocols that were put in place to meet social distancing and safety needs, due to COVID-19.
Video: Going to Criminal Court in Hennepin County
Going to Court? Watch a video (4:31 minutes) to help you prepare.
Video: Get Tips on How to Handle a Ticket in Hennepin County
Got a ticket or citation? Watch our new video (5 min.) to learn about your options.
Tickets & Fines
Got a ticket? Learn how to resolve it at the Violations Bureau & Hearing Office.
Judicial Branch News | Notices