Limited Court Services Available at Hennepin County Government Center
Hennepin County has implemented additional requirements for entry to all county buildings, which include all Hennepin County District Court courthouses. All visitors will be required to:
- Wear a face covering
- Maintain 6 feet of social distance.
Do not enter the building if you have had any COVID-19 symptoms.
To continue operations consistent with public health guidance and in a manner that prioritizes health and safety, the following will govern activities in court facilities:
- Criminal Jury Trials: Criminal jury trials in all case types may be held in-person in accordance with the Minnesota Judicial Branch COVID-19 Preparedness Plan and approved local jury trial plans.
- Civil Jury Trials: No in-person civil jury trials will commence before June 14, 2021, unless an exception is granted by the Chief Judge after consultation with the Chief Justice.
- Hearings: Hearings across all case types will be conducted remotely to the extent possible. Exceptions may include sentencing hearings in criminal cases in which there is a presumptive commitment to the Department of Corrections, and contested hearings when evidence is submitted in Major Criminal cases, Child Protection (CHIPS and Permanency) cases, Juvenile Delinquency cases, and omnibus hearings in Major Criminal cases, among other limited circumstances.
- Public Service Counters: The following public service counters are open:
- Hearing Office, Hennepin County Government Center Skyway level
- Note that the Hearing Office is not open for hearings, but for general questions only.
- Access to technology for remote (Zoom) hearings is also available at the Hearing Office.
- Records Center, Hennepin County Government Center Skyway level
- Hours are 8 a.m. to noon, Monday-Friday, no copy service available.
- Self-Help Center services are available by phone and email.
If you have a question about a court case scheduled in Hennepin County District Court call (612) 348-6000. You may also contact the court by email and use the dropdown menu to select the appropriate county.
Court launches webpage for State vs. Derek Chauvin
Hennepin County District Court has launched a webpage for the case State of Minnesota v Derek Chauvin, case number 27-CR-20-12646. The page includes all public documents filed in the case, and other information that will be helpful to parties interested in the case. You may sign up to receive an email notice whenever the webpage is updated, by clicking on the “Sign up to receive updates” link at the top of the page.
District Court initiatives to reduce pretrial detention
Hennepin County District Court, in collaboration with justice partners, has and continues to work to manage the pretrial detention of people appropriately at the Adult Detention Center (Hennepin County jail). A document outlining these efforts is available here
Criminal Court launches warrant hotline
Hennepin County Criminal Court has a new warrant hotline where you can call to get information about your warrant and schedule a court hearing to take care of your case. Your warrant will stay active until you go to court, which means you could still be arrested even though you have scheduled court over the phone. This new service gives you an opportunity to schedule a date to take care of it. Visit the Criminal court homepage for more information.
Video: Responding for jury duty in Hennepin County
Responding for jury duty? Watch a new video (5:08 minutes) to help you prepare. Please note, this video does not reflect changes to facilities and protocols that were put in place to meet social distancing and safety needs, due to COVID-19.
Self-Help Center has new phone number
The Statewide Self-Help Center has a new phone number: (651) 435-6535. If you call the old number, you’ll hear a message telling you the new number. For more information visit the Self-Help Center webpage.
Video: Going to Criminal Court in Hennepin County
Going to Court? Watch a video (4:31 minutes) to help you prepare.
Video: Get Tips on How to Handle a Ticket in Hennepin County
Got a ticket or citation? Watch our new video (5 min.) to learn about your options.
Tickets & Fines
Got a ticket? Learn how to resolve it at the Violations Bureau & Hearing Office.
Judicial Branch News | Notices