Appointed Jan. 4, 2010, by Governor Tim Pawlenty. Elected in 2012 and 2018. Term expires Jan. 2025.
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan School of Law, 1985
B.A. with Highest Honors in Political Science, University of Montana, 1982
Attorney, Robins, Kaplan, Miller and Ciresi, LLP, Minneapolis office
- Partner, 1993-2009
- Associate attorney, 1988-1993
Attorney, Morrison & Foerster, Washington, D.C. office, 1986-1988
Centennial Area Education Foundation
- Founding member
- Former member, board of directors
Former assistant girls basketball coach, Centennial Basketball Association
Former parent volunteer, Girl Scout Troop
District of Columbia (1988)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia (1988)
U.S. District Court, Minnesota (1990)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2005)
Judge O’Fallon has also been admitted pro hac vice in the state courts of California, New Jersey, North Dakota, and Illinois, and federal district court in Montana.
Former member, Minnesota Association for Justice (MNAJ)
- Former member, MNAJ Board of Governors
- Former member, MNAJ Executive Board
- Former co-chair, MNAJ Trial PAC
- Former co-chair, MNAJ Products Liability Committee
Ramsey County Bar Association, Former co-chair for “Families First” Event
Amdahl Inn of Court
Former member, Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS), Campaign for Legal Aid Urban Leadership Committee
Former State Delegate, American Association for Justice
American Bar Association
Minnesota Bar Association
Virginia Bar Association
District of Columbia Bar Association
"Wyeth v. Levine: The United States Supreme Court Rejects Preemption of Failure To Warn Claims Involving Prescription Pharmaceuticals,” Minnesota Trial, Summer 2009 (with Anne Workman).
“Tort Reform: Perception Verses Reality,” Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association, Winter 2003 (with Bruce A. Finzen and Brooke B. Tassoni).
“The Recovery of Emotional Distress Damages in Negligence,” Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association, Spring 2002 (with Brooke B. Tassoni).
“The Future of Products Liability in America,” 27 William Mitchell Law Rev. 86, Oct. 2000 (with Gary Wilson and Vincent Moccio).
“Tort Reform, The Jury Questionnaire and Striking Jurors For Cause,” Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association, Oct. 1996.
“Acquiring AIDS Through a Blood Transfusion: A Product Liability Analysis Under United States Law,” International Bar Association, Oct. 1996.
"Drug Overpromotion: When is a Warning Not Enough,” Trial, 1992 (co-author with Martha Wivell).
Judge O’Fallon has lectured in the areas of trial practice and procedure, including the following recent examples:
- “Keeping the Faith – A Perspective From the Bench,” panel member, 2013 MAJ Annual Convention, Aug. 9, 2013.
- “Debt Collection: A Judicial Perspective,” Consumer Law Issues Seminar, Jun. 14, 2013.
- “Electronic Discovery and Electronic Evidence: Have You Ever Faced A Motion to Compel a ‘Data Dump’ or Had a Party Offer His Cellphone into Evidence?” MDJA/MDJF Annual Meetings & MDJF Fall Educational Conference, Sept. 4-7, 2012
- “Federal Preemption Update and the Effects in Railroad, Aviation, and Drug and Device Litigation,” Minnesota Association for Justice, Products Liability Seminar, Mar. 26, 2008
- “So You Are in Federal Court – Now What,” MTLA Summer Convention, Aug. 9, 2007
- “The Importance of Understanding and Eliminating Bias to the Trial Lawyer,” Ethics and Elimination of Bias Seminar, MTLA CLE, May 18, 2007
- Adjunct Professor, Hamline School of Law (Fall 2003) - Taught medical malpractice class with Wendy Zeller
- One of the Minnesota Attorneys of the Year for 2009 presented by Minnesota Lawyer