In Probate/Mental Health Court, Judge Browne places value on the parties being heard; learning and growth; faithfulness to the rule of law; and respectful and professional proceedings.
His general judicial philosophy is rooted in a common sense approach in bringing to life the rules, procedures and customs of the judicial system, while working within the institution to problem solve, which is drawn from his collective experience (outlined below).
Terms in Office:
- Appointed by Governor Mark Dayton on September 4, 2015.
- Elected in 2016.
- Current term expires January 2023.
- Probate/Mental Health - 7/18/2022 to Present
- Criminal Division – 2/16/2021 to 7/15/2022
- Family Court - 2/12/18 to 2/12/2021
- Civil & Criminal (Brookdale) - 2/22/16 to 2/11/18
- Criminal (Downtown) - 9/4/15 to 2/21/16
Court Leadership Positions:
- Presiding Judge (July 2022 to Present), Probate/Mental Health Division
- Lead Judge (February 2021 to July 2022), Downtown Criminal Team
- Chair (2020 to Present), Member (2016 to 2020), Budget Committee
- Chair (2018 to Present), Co-Chair (2017 to 2018), IT Governance Committee
- Member, Fourth Judicial District Executive Committee – 2016 to 2019
- Chair (2021 to Present), Member (2015 to 2020), Statewide Judicial Officers Technology Advisory Team
- Adjunct Professor (Judicial Externship), University of St. Thomas, School of Law – 2019 to Present
- Adjunct Professor (Mentor/Externship), University of St. Thomas, School of Law – 2007 to Present
- Presenter, New Judge Orientation (Technology) – Fourth Judicial District
- Presenter/Facilitator, various Continuing Legal/Judicial Education courses
- Director (Office of Police Conduct Review), Minneapolis Department of Civil Rights
- Assistant Director (Complaint Investigations), Minneapolis Department of Civil Rights
- Legal Affairs Manager, Minnesota Department of Human Rights
- Interim Director, Minneapolis Department of Civil Rights
- Director (Outreach and Enforcement), Minneapolis Department of Civil Rights
- Attorney & Counselor, Private & Small Firm Practice
- Assistant Public Defender, Third Judicial Public Defender’s Office
- Associate Attorney, (Formerly) Blackwell Igbanugo Engen & Saffold, PA
- Staff Attorney, Centro Legal, Inc.
- Judicial Clerk, Hennepin County District Court (Ret. Judge L.T. Lange)
- Law Clerk, Hennepin County Public Defender’s Office
- Medical Interpreter (Spanish), Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- J.D., Hamline University - School of Law - 1999
- B.A., University of Minnesota – Duluth - 1995
- Certified Practitioner of Oversight, National Association of Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement - 2015
- Certified Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM), Toastmasters International 2011-2015
- Certificate (Humanitarian & Human Rights Law), Human Rights Institute of the Faculty of Law of the Complutense University of Madrid & Helsinki Spain, Madrid, Spain - 2007
- Certificate (Strategic Management of Regulatory & Enforcement Agencies) - Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA - 2006
- Fellow (Criminal Law & Police Accountability), Robert Bosch Foundation, Germany 2002-2003
- Member, a Minnesota Independent School District elementary school principal selection committee – 2019 & 2020
- Mentor, University of St. Thomas, School of Law – 2007 to Present
- Coach, an elementary school chess club volunteer – 2018 & 2019
- Program Mentor, Lead by Example Minneapolis 2014 to 2015
- Board Member, Vice Chair, Chair, Chair of Nominations Committee, Chair of Safety Committee, Jordan Area Community Council (JACC), Minneapolis 2007-2010.
- Board Member, Twin Cities German-American Immersion School 2003-2004.
- Assistant Coach with the Hamline Law School Mock Trial Team 1999-2000.