Court Interpreter Communication Archive Detail
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2021
This message was sent to all court interpreters on the state roster, those who work regularly for the district courts and interpreter agencies, or those who are active on the existing Minnesota Judicial Branch interpreter database.
We are pleased to share news today that a one-time, temporary rate increase for court interpreters who are independent contractors with the Minnesota Judicial Branch will go into effect on August 15, 2021.
During the legislative special session in June, the Minnesota Legislature approved a one-time appropriation of $400,000 for independent contract interpreters. The legislation, as signed into law, states:
$200,000 each year is to increase hourly fees paid to qualified certified and uncertified interpreters who are independent contractors and assist persons disabled in communication in legal proceedings. This is a onetime appropriation.
There are a few important details regarding this funding that you need to be aware of:
- The funding is a one-time appropriation, not a permanent increase.
- The funding will support an 8% across the board rate increase for independent contract court interpreters until the $200,000 in funding for each fiscal year is depleted.
- The rate increase for this fiscal year goes into effect August 15, 2021.
- When the $200,000 in funding is depleted, the rate will revert to current payment rates.
- As the Legislature allocated one-time funding for a rate increase in each year of the biennium, an additional $200,000 will be available from July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023 or until the funds are depleted during that year.
You do not need to take any action or submit additional information to receive this rate increase. The Minnesota Judicial Branch will adjust the rate in the payment system and pay the higher rate until the $200,000 in funding is depleted.
We will share an additional update with you when the funding nears depletion, so you will know when the hourly rate reverts to the rate that you were paid prior to this funding increase.
Please know we are in the process of updating the Court Interpreter Payment Policy and other resources to reflect this one-time, temporary rate increase. You will find updated information on our Court Interpreter Program Resources webpage.
Thank you for your service as a court interpreter. We appreciate all that you do to help Minnesotans who need assistance navigate the judicial system, understand court processes, and access justice.
If you have any questions, please contact us