When a traffic citation (for example, a parking ticket, no proof of insurance, texting while driving, etc.) is issued, there may be different ways to handle the citation. The questions below give information and options if you want to resolve, contest, or reopen a citation.
Do you want to pay a citation? One way to resolve a ticket is to pay the fine. Paying a fine is considered pleading guilty and will result in a conviction. More information about how to pay a fine and what rights you are giving up can be found on the Pay Citation page.
Do you want to contest a citation? If you do not agree with the citation, you may contest it. In some counties, you can do this by asking for an appointment with a Hearing Officer. You can call the MN Court Payment Center (CPC) to schedule an appointment with a Hearing Officer if your citation was issued in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, or Washington counties. A Hearing Officer will talk to you about your options.
If your citation was issued in another county, you can contact court administration in that county for information about contesting a citation. To find contact information for all MN counties, go to Find Courts
Review the Contest Citation page for more information.
Do you need to show proof of insurance? If you are charged with No Proof of Insurance or No Insurance and the vehicle you were driving was insured on the date and time of the offense, proof of insurance or the name and address of the owner of the vehicle must be sent to the MN Court Payment Center (CPC) no later than 30 days from when the citation was filed with the courts. Review the How Do I Show Proof of Insurance tab on the Pay Fines page for more information.
Do you want to reopen your case? You may be able to ask to reopen your case by filing a Motion to Withdraw Guilty Plea and Vacate Conviction. These forms can be used if you were charged with an offense and a guilty plea was entered because:
  • You did not appear or respond;
  • You paid all or part of the fine;
  • You pled guilty before a judge or hearing officer and received a petty misdemeanor sentence; or
  • You entered into a continuance for dismissal that was later updated to reflect a guilty plea and petty misdemeanor conviction.
Related Legal Topics: