4th District  

Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Court Administration > Conciliation Court > Basics & FAQs on Conciliation Court >

How to file a counterclaim

You must file your counterclaim at least five (5) business days before the hearing date. Saturdays, Sundays, legal holidays, and the hearing date are not included in the counting.

You can download the Conciliation Court Statement of Counterclaim form from this website. When you have filled out your counterclaim, you must file it with the court and pay a filing fee.

The Conciliation Court will notify the plaintiff if a counterclaim is filed.

If the address shown on the plaintiff's claim form is not your correct address, you are responsible for providing the court with a correct and complete address.

If the counterclaim exceeds the legal limit of $15,000, you may waive the amount in excess of the limit, or you may file a written Affidavit explaining that you intend to file a counterclaim that exceeds the legal limit for Conciliation Court; that you have brought or will bring a claim in District Court against plaintiff within 30 days. If you do not start the District Court action within 30 days, plaintiff may have his or her claim reinstated in Conciliation Court.