4th District  

Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Court Administration > Family Court >

Divorce / Dissolution

To file for divorce in Hennepin County:

  • One of the spouses must have lived in Minnesota for at least six (6) months before starting the case, and one of the spouses must now live in Hennepin County. A same sex couple may also file for divorce in Minnesota if they got married in Minnesota on or after August 1, 2013, and each party to the marriage now lives in a state that does not allow the dissolution of the parties' same sex marriage. See MN Statutes § 518.07, Subd. 2.
  • Parties who have a child (or children) together and have contested custody or parenting time (visitation) issues must attend a divorce education program before the divorce will be granted.

Self-represented parties can get help with divorce forms, procedures and other resources at the Family Court Self-Help Center.

If you filed for divorce in Hennepin County, you can get copies of divorce documents at the Family Court Records Center.

Divorce, Custody & Family Law

Go to Divorce, Custody & Family Law

to get forms, instructions, and other legal resources
at our online Self-Help Center.


« Back to 4th District Family Court Home

« Back to 4th District Court Home