4th District  

Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Court Administration > Conciliation Court > Basics & FAQs on Conciliation Court >

Types of Claims Allowed in Conciliation Court

Conciliation Court can hear claims up to $15,000. It can also order that personal property be returned. Exception: As of August 1, 2012, Conciliation Court can hear cases of seized property valued up to $15,000.

Claims Allowed
Defective goods sold or service provided Damage to property or vehicle
Back rent owed Accident repair expenses not paid
NSF (non-sufficient funds) check tendered
in Hennepin County
Worthless checks
Damage deposit not paid Wages not paid
Return of property (Replevin) Defendant lives in Hennepin County. There are a few expections that allow the incident to happen in Hennepin County.
Claims Not Allowed
Title to real estate Class Actions
Medical malpractice Libel or slander
Discrimination claims Actions against deceased persons
Actions when another court is involved Problem or incident did not happen in or defendant does not live in Hennepin County, with some exceptions

Even if you believe you have a claim for more than $15,000, you can only file a claim in Conciliation Court up to $15,000. You may not file more than one claim related to the same incident as a way to reach a higher amount.

You may want to think about whether the person you are suing (the defendant) will be able to pay you. Although you may win a case, the Conciliation Court is not a collection agency and does not contact the defendant to collect payment. Read What to Do if You Win a Judgment for more information.


« Back to Conciliation Court Home

« Back to 4th District Court Home