4th District  

Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Court Administration > Conciliation Court > Basics & FAQs on Conciliation Court >

What to do if you win a judgment

Conciliation court is not a collection agency and cannot assist you in locating assets.

You need to collect the judgment yourself. When you win your case, collecting a judgment is not always easy. You cannot collect assets that a debtor does not have.  The collection process will work only if you can locate collectable assets.

Judgments last for 10 years

A judgment lasts for ten (10) years after it is finalized, and you may try to collect the amount owed from the debtor's assets during that time. You may renew the judgment if you have not collected the amount owed within the ten year period.

Enforce a Judgment

The judgment Notice will have a date for the "statutory stay period" and once that date expires, if you have not been paid or if an appeal has not been filed, you may begin the steps to enforce the judgment. Click Transcribing the judgment to District Court to learn more about this process. After the Conciliation Court transcript is prepared, all the paperwork will be sent to Civil Filing in District Court.

Suspend Debtor's Driver's License

If your judgment involves property damage from an automobile accident with an uninsured driver, you may try to get the debtor’s driver’s license suspended until the judgment is paid. Many people are willing to pay what they owe if they risk losing their license. Once the judgment has been final for 30 days, you can file the proper paperwork with the District Court asking the Commissioner of Public Safety to suspend the debtor's drivers license.  To see if the debtor has a motor vehicle registered in his or her name, call the Minnesota Department of Motor Vehicles Records Division at (651)296-6911.

Judgments Office

For general information on the process of collecting your judgment, visit the Judgments website or you may call the Judgments Office at (612)348-3169.