4th District  

Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Court Administration > Civil Court > Judgments >

Foreign Judgments

A foreign judgment is a judgment brought in from another state or country for the purpose of collection and/or placing a lien on property.

Filing a Foreign Judgment

Foreign judgments may be filed at the Judgments Department on C-3 (3rd floor) of the Hennepin County Government Center or mailed to:

Hennepin County District Court
Judgments, C-3
300 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55487-0332

To open a foreign judgment case, the following must be filed:

  • A certified copy of the judgment from the out-of-state or out-of-country court.
  • An Affidavit of Identification of both the debtor and creditor.
  • Filing fees for foreign judgments
  • There is a 20-day stay from the date of filing to the date of judgment.

For further information, please refer to the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act in the MN Statutes §§ 548.26 - 548.33.